Thursday 6 June 2013

EIKON - The Worthy Cause?

At Eikon the aim is not just short-term success, but sustained positive outcomes over a long-term period.  Martin is now 22 years old, but was supported by Eikon some 10 years ago; he still stays in touch: 
  • “In 1998 when I was 10yrs old my mother passed away due to breast cancer, and subsequently my father became an alcoholic. Consistent with a typical alcoholic, there was depression, drunk-driving, lying, irrational behaviour and increasingly having to go into hospital, so that my sister and I were often left on our own. As a result of this I found it difficult to concentrate in school, and my education and general wellbeing suffered. I first encountered Eikon on a residential trip to an outdoor activity centre in Devon. This was a great opportunity to meet people that had similar problems. 
  • Eikon helped me get much needed counselling, and arranged socials that children like me didn’t get in their own families.  As of last year I have just graduated from University with an honours degree in Business Studies. I have since found a job, proposed to my fiancé, and we aim to buy a house together soon.  Having support through Eikon was a great help to my self-esteem and confidence. I think what is really important is that a child’s upbringing shapes the path of their future. If that path strays too far off course, it can affect the rest of their life with sometimes irreversible effects. I feel that Eikon can help change that”.
Thank-you so much for enabling us to support young people like Martin.  Every single penny we raise is important to us, and will help us reach out to even more young people who urgently need our help.

Our children are the future, so lets try to ensure they have as bright a future as possible by helping them through the tough times, when the world around them throws that 'curve ball' some one needs to be there to help. 



No comments:

Post a Comment