Sunday 16 June 2013

Tyre choice - a personal thing

The OEM fitment tyres on my Jamis Zenith Pro Di2 were 700cx23 Vittorio Ribino Pro slicks which have various reviews; ranging from excellent, to some what lacking in grip on anything other than a straight line - My opinion falls in the latter camp, but that is a slightly jaded view, considering my fall earlier in the year.

There is no question that the Vittorio's roll very nicely, and as a result the Jamis certainly feels quick and accelerates very well, but right or wrong I decided to change them for a pair of 700xcx23 Continental Ultra Sports.

Again the reviews were mixed but on the whole the feedback is that they are grippy, reasonably durable and don't puncture any worse than anything else. 

Having now put a few hundred miles on them I would concur with the general opinion; Grippy yes, but I've just had my first puncture in the Ultra's, a thorn straight through the centre - thickest part - of the tread. 

While feeling grippy and giving confidence to the cornering, they also have a tendency to feel sticky on the road in a straight-line, to the extent that I'm considering switching back....

Still undecided, but will keep with them for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment